Want to keep your waistline in check? It’s time to add some fiber to your diet.
Incorporating fiber into your diet can effectively help reduce fat buildup and help you lose belly fat. Several studies have shown that increasing daily fiber intake lowers the risk of fat accumulation. (1-2)
Consuming fiber delays food digestion and absorption, slowing down glucose release into the bloodstream. (3) Simply put, this strategy prevents insulin spikes, which are notorious for fat storage. Moreover, fiber-rich foods are low in calories, making them filling and satisfying, reducing cravings for high-calorie foods that could lead to weight gain. (3)
Fiber also promotes a healthy gut microbiome, essential for regulating metabolism and hormone levels, two key factors influencing body weight and fat accumulation. Adding fiber to your diet can help you better manage your weight and reduce the chances of gaining unwanted fat. (4)
Here are four fiber-rich foods you should add to your diet to keep your weight in check:
Legumes, such as beans, peas, and lentils, pack a powerful punch of protein and fiber that supports a healthy diet and weight management. Their low fat and calorie content makes legumes the perfect choice for reducing visceral fat in the abdominal cavity. Versatile and flavorful, legumes offer a great way to add protein and fiber to your meals, including salads, soups, and bean dips.
Swap out refined grains for whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice, and whole-wheat bread. Whole grains are packed with fiber, helping you feel fuller for extended periods, reducing the chances of overeating, and preventing fat accumulation. Moreover, whole grains also support your body with the necessary minerals and vitamins for energy and metabolism.
Berries have become increasingly popular due to their sweet taste and high antioxidant content. They are also low in calories and high in fiber, making them a perfect addition to your daily diet. Raspberries and blackberries, for example, pack eight grams of fiber per cup, which accounts for nearly one-third of the daily recommended fiber intake. For a refreshing and nutrient-rich snack, berries can be sliced and added to yogurt, smoothies, or a simple fruit salad.
Spinach and kale are examples of leafy greens that are packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Their nutrient density and low-calorie count make them a great addition to any healthy diet. Research shows that consuming leafy greens is associated with lower risks of obesity and other chronic diseases. These greens can be included in a variety of recipes, such as salads, stir-fries, or cooked as a side dish with roasted vegetables.
Don’t forget to add some fiber to your grocery cart! And while you’re at it, why not mix things up with tasty and healthy recipes combining fiber-rich ingredients? Our Spinach and Berry Salad is a great place to start.
Devine Spinach & Berry Salad Recipe
This salad is perfect for a light, refreshing lunch main or dinner side dish. The spinach leaves are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, while the berries add a unique burst of flavor and antioxidants. The feta cheese adds flavor, and slivered almonds add a satisfying crunch to the dish, while the balsamic dressing ties it all together. Try this delicious recipe and enjoy the health benefits of leafy greens and berries all in one dish!
• 5 cups of baby spinach leaves
• 1 cup of sliced strawberries
• 1 cup of blueberries
• 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
• 1/4 cup of slivered almonds
• 1/4 cup of sliced red onion
• 1/4 cup of olive oil
• 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon of honey
• 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the baby spinach leaves and pat dry.
2. Mix the spinach leaves, sliced strawberries, blueberries, crumbled feta cheese, slivered almonds, and sliced red onion in a large bowl.
3. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to coat.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Stonehenge Health® Dynamic Biotics™ helps support and boost friendly gut bacteria and may help relieve occasional digestive-related issues such as bloating, cramps, and bowel irregularity.* But that’s not all. With 16 unique strains and a whopping 51 billion colony-forming units (CFUs), Dynamic Biotics™ helps balance your microbiome, helping create the environment for healthy easier weight management.*
1. Hairston KG, et all. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012 Feb;20(2):421-7.
2. Parikh S, et all, J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Aug;97(8):E1451-7.
3. Mayo Clinic. | mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fiber/art-20043983
4. (2021, September 1). Mayo Clinic. | connect.mayoclinic.org/blog/weight-management-1/newsfeed-post/building-a-healthy-gut-microbiome/