As the summer heat rolls in and the scent of barbecue fills the air, it’s time to gather with friends and family to celebrate Independence Day’s red, white, and blue spirit.
July 4th, a day synonymous with fireworks, parades, and patriotic festivities, is also an occasion to indulge in mouthwatering dishes that satisfy the appetites of a crowd. Whether you’re hosting a backyard cookout, attending a potluck, or seeking inspiration for your holiday menu, these recipes are sure to please.
Let’s kick things off with our tasty Firecracker Chicken Skewers, marinated in a spicy blend of sriracha, honey, and soy sauce. These succulent skewers pack a punch of flavor. Paired with a cooling cucumber-yogurt dip, they provide the perfect balance of heat and refreshment.
Firecracker Chicken Skewers
• 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken tenders or breasts cut into strips
• 1/2 cup soy sauce
• 4 tablespoons sriracha sauce
• 4 tablespoons honey
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoon lime juice
• 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
• Wooden or metal skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before grilling)
1. Whisk together soy sauce, sriracha sauce, honey, minced garlic, lime juice, and vegetable oil to create the marinade in a bowl.
2. Place the chicken cubes in a zip-top bag and pour the marinade over them. Seal the bag and gently massage it to coat the chicken evenly.
3. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours for more flavor.
4. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
5. Grill the skewers for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally until the chicken is cooked and slightly charred.
6. Serve the firecracker chicken skewers hot off the grill, accompanied by the refreshing cucumber-yogurt dip on the side.
7. You can also cook the chicken skewers in the oven by preheating them to 425°F (220°C) and baking them for approximately 15-18 minutes or until cooked. Adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the chicken strips.
Serves 12 | Per Serving: 166 calories, 2.8g fat, cholesterol, 80mg, 6g carbohydrates, 6g sugar, 0g fiber, 27g protein
• 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
• 2 cucumbers, seeded and grated
• 2 clove garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Either beforehand or while the chicken is grilling, prepare the cucumber-yogurt dip.
2. Combine Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, minced garlic, fresh dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
3. Stir well to combine.
4. Chill in refrigerator until served.
Serves 12 | Per Serving: 53 calories, 2.3g fat, 4.5g carbohydrates, 3g sugar, 0g fiber, 3g protein
Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad
The Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad is a vibrant and refreshing choice for those seeking a taste of summer’s bounty. Grilled corn kernels are tossed with creamy avocado, juicy cherry tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, and tangy lime dressing. This colorful salad not only adds a pop of festive color to the table, but its combination of flavors and textures will leave your guests craving seconds.
• 8 ears of corn, husked
• 2 avocados, diced
• 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
• 2 cups chickpeas canned
• ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
• ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
• Juice of 4 limes
• 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the grill to medium heat.
2. Place the corn on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until the kernels are charred and tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the grill and let it cool.
3. Once the corn has cooled, stand each ear upright on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut the kernels off the cob.
4. Combine the grilled corn kernels, diced avocado, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, red onion, and chopped cilantro in a large bowl.
5. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl to make the dressing.
6. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat all the ingredients.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed.
8. Let the salad sit for 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
9. Serve the grilled corn and avocado salad as a vibrant and refreshing side dish or as a light lunch. Its colorful presentation and delightful combination of flavors and textures will leave your guests craving seconds.
Note: For an added kick of heat, you can include a pinch of chili powder or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the dressing. Additionally, feel free to customize the salad by adding ingredients like crumbled feta cheese, black beans, or sliced jalapeños to suit your taste preferences.
Serves 12 | Per Serving: 160 calories, 7.3g fat, 24.1g carbohydrates, 5.6g sugar, 4g fiber, 4.2g protein
With these easy-to-prepare recipes that can feed many people, your July 4th celebration is guaranteed to be a hit. So, fire up the grill, gather your loved ones, and let the flavors of freedom and togetherness shine through. Cheers to a day filled with delicious food, joyful laughter, and the spirit of independence. Happy Fourth of July!
Stress Less This Summer
Holidays and gatherings can often become stressful and overwhelming, turning what should be enjoyable occasions into a drag.
Take a deep breath and discover the transformative power of adaptogens.
These plant-based wonders have been used for centuries worldwide and are now gaining popularity here. Adaptogens help your body better cope with stress and support your immune system, clarity of thought, and energy levels. Functional mushrooms like Lion’s Mane and Reishi are some of the most amazing adaptogens out there.
Stonehenge Health’s Dynamic Mushrooms™ combines the five most studied functional and adaptogenic mushrooms shown to support cognitive performance while helping to manage the effects of stress on our body and help you sleep better.* Whether you need physical or cognitive support, Dynamic Mushrooms™ has got you covered*. Bring on the summer with confidence – and just breathe. 😊